Out of necessity (because my jackets were falling apart) I learnt how to sew on buttons today. About time. The 5 simple steps I followed:
1. For heavy fabrics, like my jackets, use strong linen thread.
2. Cut 20cm thread and feed it through a large needle.
3. Pull through so it's doubled over, then knot the end and snip the excess.
4. Hold the button slightly away from the fabric as you loop the thread through the material then the button.
5. I did about 3 "loops" then tied off the end, and snipped the excess.
>> YouTube is helpful for knitting, sewing and crochet tips cause you can actually see what's being explained.