- About 3 cups vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 500g bocconcini cheese (drained & patted dry; roughly 2 small tubs)
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups plain, fine, dry breadcrumbs
- Triple coat the bocconcini by dipping in the eggs, then breadcrumbs, and repeating. Transfer to a bowl as you go (they can stack on top of each other).
- When all the cheese is battered, heat the oil in a heavy saucepan, being super careful not to let it spatter on you when it gets hot (this took about 5 minutes on high heat for me, until a breadcrumb dropped in will sizzle immediately).
- Fry in batches of 4-5 balls at a time, lowering in on a slotted spoon until golden brown, turning occasionally.
- Lift out and place on paper towel until ready to serve.
We also made a simple tomato sauce to go with these, by frying up 1/2 a brown onion (chopped), one clove garlic (crushed), 1-2 cups passata (tomato puree; a can of diced tomatoes would be fine too), and a splash of red wine.
Adapted from Epicurious iPhone App (credited to Gourmet, January 2009)