This is the first in a series of recipes all made for my housemate's Spanish fiesta birthday dinner back in January. Unfortunately the photos aren't wonderful, but they're all I have!
- 2 large fennel bulbs with fronds attached
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- Pinch of oregano (fresh or dried)
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 can cannellini beans
- Preheat oven to 200 Celcius.
- Chop enough fennel fronds to measure 1/2 cup and set aside.
- Trim fennel bulbs and cut in half vertically, then into 1/2 inch wide wedges.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan until very hot then add fennel wedges and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Cook until fennel begins to brown and soften, stirring occasionally; about 10-12 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, oregano, garlic and stir.
- Transfer to an ovenproof dish and put in the over for about 30 minutes, or until fennel and tomatoes are soft, stirring occasionally.
- Mix in cannellini beans and chopped fennel fronds, then bake for another 5 minutes to heat through.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
Adapted from Epicurious iPhone App (credited to Bon Appetit, August 2010)