Sunday, June 15, 2008

A gingerbread scene

To make gingerbread you will need:
~ 1/2 cup sugar
~ 3 cups plain flour
~ 1 tsp bicarb soda
~ 2 tsp ground ginger
~ 125g butter
~ 4 tbsp golden syrup
~ 2 eggs (beaten)

Then what to do with it all?
1. Rub butter into the dry ingredients (sugar, flour, bicarb & ginger)
2. Add warmed golden syrup (30 seconds on high in the microwave)
3. Mix in the beaten eggs
4. Bake at 190 degrees celcius for 10-15 minutes
5. Loosen on the tray while still warm
6. Ice with royal icing
7. Create dinosaur traffic jams**

**Step 7 is optional, but highly recommended.

>> Recipe courtesy of Gingerbread Mafia, of course :) While looking for the royal icing recipe, I discovered a whole site dedicated to gingerbread houses, I'm tempted to try that next time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man, sorry I wasn't too clear - the secret is to mix the warm golden syrup with the eggs and add the wet mixture all together. I'm not sure why this makes a difference, but for some reason it makes them taste better!

Also to make royal icing that sets super rock hard and keeps for about a year (no joke) you beat one egg white until its stiff (like for when you make meringues) and then slowly fold in about a cup of pure icing sugar. It's like cement, it's amazing. My beaters emit smoke for some reason, so I couldn't make it this time :(


The gingerbread house site is great, those candy windows are -amazing-!

I want to have a knit night at my house this week, do you think anyone would come?

Unknown said...

Absolutely! Although I'm only free on Wednesday night, does that work for you?