Lemon tart seemed like an appropriate desert tonight due to the abundance of both eggs and lemons in my house! I found the recipe (by Philip Johnson) in a pullout from the weekend newspaper, and it goes like this...
Sweet shortcrust pastry ingredients:
2/3 cup icing sugar
2 egg yolks
2 cups plain flour, sifted
1 egg, beaten
To make the pastry:
1. Cream butter and icing sugar, then add egg yolks one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
2. Mix in flour and knead lightly.
3. Wrap in glad wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
4. Preheat oven to 160 celcius.
5. Roll out rested pastry and place gently in a greased tart dish.
6. Line pastry shell with foil and baking beads (or uncooked rice) then bake for 20 mins.
7. Take out lining, brush with beaten egg then return to the oven for another 10 mins.
What you'll need for the filling:
1 1/2 cups caster sugar
Juice of 5 lemons
Grated zest of 3 lemons
Icing sugar, for dusting
To make the filling:
1. Preheat oven to 110 celcius.
2. Place cream in a small saucepan and bring almost to the boil.
3. In a separate (large) bowl, whisk eggs and sugar, then add hot cream, then lemon juice and lemon zest.
4. Pour filling into the prepared pastry case and bake for 60 mins, or until filling is just set.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
6. Dust icing sugar over the top and serve!